1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1785&sid=4780b0c5f2db59cd9349f7556ca3d4b1&start=10
Forum Whore
view posts by this user Offline
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
    Reply with quote Post a reply
What can WE do for our server?

Starting this off by linking Kiira's post, as I feel this should be an extension of that, sorta.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1765

Accepting the problem. As everyone is well aware, lately there has been a slow and unsteady decline of RP on DMF, both in quality and quantity. As RPers, we are probably all feeling the ache of walking around, day in and day out, and find ourselves lucky to have a shred of RP that we can enjoy, while weaving in and out of the pool of sexual and melodramatic encounters, and trying so hard to find a semblance of lore and realism in an RP community where half of those involved seem to have turned a blind eye to it.

This is not an elitist's post. I am not going to spend the time to complain about the rude and the crude RPers, or the players who are not interested in it at all. This is not about those people as much as the environment in and of itself. Wave after wave of the same empty streets, of taverns filled with ERPers, of players ignoring the three C's of RPing (consideration, common sense, communication)--all of these wash over us, and if we're not careful, we find ourselves attacked from all fronts, bowled over, and drowned.

As a result, a lot of us have stepped back, gone into hiding, thrown up walls and barriers to avoid the rabble. But little do we realize, or perhaps want to realize...that this very action is actually making things worse.

Hiding: more harm than good. Why? Because as we go deeper and deeper into our groups, we lose track of the server, and the other people on it. I'm not saying we all have to get along and play nice nice all the time. We all have our groups and that is fine. But we also should realize that there are only so many ideas people can come up with in a single group setting, and ultimately, we will run out of them.

And then what? What, when we've not attempted to get to know others? What, if we find our friends, those closest to us, leaving the server, like so many before them have? What then? Short of leaving the server with them, we are alone, and unsure where to go. It's a fate many of us have encountered in the past, despite the warnings. And it will be all of our fates until we try to at least get to know others besides those closest to us.

How it got this way. The sexual RP. The ERP. The dramatic emote ignoring, or the demon lords or Princes of Silvermoon. This is a rough summary of what we are dealing with. Droves of them. But I will not complain about them. I will simply state the observation. A great many players have just fallen into this crowd because they didn't have anywhere to go either when they first joined this server or when they left the raiding world and decided to try their hand at RP but could not find the RPers other than where they've ended up.

They as a result turn to the "scary" places that some of us dread: Wayfarer's Rest, and Goldshire. At least it's always guaranteed to be packed there, right? And before we know it, they are sucked in, their standards completely lowered to accept demon kings and werewolves into their daily RP, and we lose yet another potentially dedicated and capable RPer, those we could have had fun with--had we just found them before the demon prince got them first.

Not as bad as we think. I am aware I am exaggerating a great deal, because even amongst the infamous stereotypes that we roll our eyes at or sigh and walk away from, there are a great many potential gems of RPers who, with just a little patience, can be groomed into quality storytellers. There are also great RPers already in these groups, who don't get noticed by most of the server's more established and (dare I say it) more well known RPers, because of the people they've chosen to RP with. On instinct, we avoid the groups and the RPers we don't like. As a result, we tend to avoid the RPers who need our help the most. We avoid making these RPers aware that they are not alone in this sea of ...well...we've all seen it.

We were all there once. I am not going to put on my high and mighty hat to say that we are any better than the demons and werewolves, because I believe that we all started out somewhat like that. I for one remember my days of dancing naked on tables in Darnassus, screaming "LOL TAKING DONATIONS JUST STICK THEM IN MY G STRING!" ...don't ask. Sure, my quality probably hasn't much improved from those days. :P But I also used to play Sastri as a half night elf, a mistake I was facepalmed about constantly behind my back until someone finally had the balls to tell me this to my face.

Trust before Training. As many of them do when we now whisper them to try to "help" or "teach" them, I also did not accept that person's criticism at first. It took me awhile to mull over it, and read the lore, for me to realize that my RP choice was one that strayed from lore and would not give me much RPers who would accept it, and while my character has still his lorelol parts, I'd like to think that through the years, I've learned a thing or two. And it all happened because someone was brave enough to try setting me straight.

I have to believe there are plenty of those people on this server just waiting to grow, like I did. And like we all have. Please, PLEASE, don't ignore them. Don't avoid them. Don't hate them. Lead by example.

Law of Inertia. The situation is not going to change, nor will the people, unless WE do something about it. If we don't start now, we will never be able to dig ourselves out from this hole, and end up leaving just like so many have already. This is still our server! And we must fight to keep it.

Inaction will not cure infection. Some of us will say it's a lost cause. Most will claim it's too much work and effort to do something about it. Many will insist they only have so many hours a day to play, if that. We might say that this is a game we play for fun, and that what I propose would be considered work. We can stamp our feet or stick our head in the sand and our hands on our ears and sing LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! to all the RP we don't like, but eventually, it WILL catch up to us. It will back us into such a corner we will have to abandon ship. Do we want this? A little effort, if many of us do it, could help prevent this from happening.

Little bit goes a long way. And I mean that. Just a little effort. I have to disagree that it's hard work. I will kindly decline to call it tedious. I know that it will even be rewarding to find one or two RPers who will whisper you, cheer and thank you for RPing with them, and maybe even add you to their friend's list. I have had those experiences. I have also had the bad ones, but to dwell on those is defeating us before we've begun.

So what can we do? What can we do that will not take effort, and will not be seen as work while we're on this game to have fun? This suggestion:

Time heals all wounds. Just take a half hour or hour of every day, or even a few hours a week, or even one or two days a week (you really can decide how much or little time you'll put into this) to mingle amongst the less...eh...savory crowds we usually avoid. Just take that time and RP with them.

A few things we can do. Wave to them, send them on small missions around the city. Ask them to have a drink with you at one of the taverns. Or simply just RP with yourself for awhile until someone curious enough happens upon you and you start RPing with them. It's that easy! And if that's too much to ask cause you still feel you're losing quality time with friends, then take them along!

Be approachable. Bear in mind, that groups of friends may be intimidating to a solo RPer, so make sure if you go in groups that you and your friends are the first to make the move. Reach out to them. Wave at them. Ask them a question that ties into whatever it was you and your friends were talking about. "C'mere, mate. Look. Look at him. Doesn't he look like a greenbean with that outfit?" and before you know it, you've got someone you never knew who's RPing with you!

Be positive! You might be pleasantly surprised, or you might get someone who simply goes "LOL NERDS!" but that will be OKAY, because you'll be with your friends, so you can still have fun doing it. Groups make it all better. :) And before you know it, you will stop thinking of them as "charity runs" and look forward to meeting new faces.

THAT is only the beginning, however.

As the name of the thread suggests, we are constantly whining and sighing about what we expect from this server and what we feel we've woefully not been getting, but it tends to be those who whine the most who don't do a thing about obtaining the things they want.

Action works better. Those who complain about the lack of RP tend to just leave server or run away to PVE without starting events or walking around to make RP. Those growling about the poor quality may just sit around in their special corners and point and laugh with elitism on their faces, rather than get into the thick of things, get the "bad RPers" to trust them, and then gently nudge them away from their less tolerable habits. I can't stress enough how we can't do anything if we come at them with high and mighty attitudes, but if we handle it with kid gloves and lead by example, we can change a great deal of them for the "better".

Get out there. Don't get me wrong. I love WoW Gamer and the people, and Jezzy was awesome to make us a home where we can band together with like-minded individuals, but I will agree with a few of the past who say that sticking only to WoW Gamer woefully keeps us segregated from the rest of the server, and from potentially good RPers who have no knowledge of WoW Gamer or no desire to join it. They should not be excluded from our ideas just because they don't want to join another forum.

I know that I was hesitant to join WoW Gamer as well, and it had nothing to do with the people on it or the forum itself. It was that I had enough forums that I never kept in touch of and I didn't want another one to deal with. But I'm here now, I enjoy it, but admittedly, I know that it can't be the be all to end all, if we're concerned about the quality of our server. So get out there, post on the realm forums, on the RP forums, anywhere you can for your advertisements. Seek out the general chats channels in game. Join the wewantRP channel to keep in touch with some RPers, but do not count on just that to get your RP fix. This will help others know about us, and it will, in the end, pay off.

And so not to seem hypocritical, I will also be posting this on the realm forum, with a few tweaks, naturally.

We're in this together. You may wonder why I keep putting quotes around the adjective words describing RP and RPers. That is because I don't really believe there is such a thing as a "good" RPer, or a "Bad" RPer. I believe we are all simply RPers. Just some of us have not had the experiences that made them a bit more skilled than others. Some of us have just not had the chance to see different than what we know, and what we feel is all we need to know. All it takes sometimes is for our eyes to open, for us to see beyond the veil, and for us to realize that some of the things we've been doing, could actually be more rewarding, if we do them a different way.

THIS is what we can do. For this server. And it will only take us to do what we're already doing: RPing.

But aside from that, I'm going to finish this long-winded post off with the same question I started it.

What can you do for the server to make and improve RP?

Think about that. Give it a real good consideration. What do you have to offer? Don't say "Nothing" because that is not true. We ALL have something to offer. Perhaps you can host events. Perhaps you can rally people together to RP in an area. Maybe you're good at setting up plot lines and can invite people you normally don't know. You might know the fun that comes from running taverns or shops. Heck, even walking around selling wares, or ICly trading goods to OOCers who you've bought or sold from in the trade channel. And don't forget attending other peoples' events! You do, what you feel you can, or maybe all of it!

I'm hoping we all can do more than just one thing. It still doesn't have to be much, nor take much time, but we all have a talent, a way to do our part. And we can't sit around waiting for someone else to do it.

The first move to change this server for the better....

Starts with YOU.

With me.

With us.

[Eltharis Sunglaive] says: Sastri...you better not have sex with my runeblade...."

A writer values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency. --- Mark Twain
Avid adventurer
I agree with most of what you say, Sas, but the problem isn't really people who are bad at Rping.

The main problem is people who activly seek it out just so they can say hurtful things to the people who get involved. No one likes being insulted and ganged up on by assholes and that's usually what happens when you are more open about your hobbies on Darkmoon Faire. If we start publically announcing our events, before you know it, we have an entire guild of dickheads crashing it and being complete tossers just for the sake of it for about 2 hours. There's only so much of that one person can take.

The Nickelbolt Emporium will not be held responsible for any harm that falls upon you following use of company merchandise.
Forum Whore
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
Considering that this is an RP server, I think we can all understand that we have more right to be here than they do if they're insulting and harassing. And that's what the GM ticket is for :) There's usually the RP bafflement of their words until they give up and leave. I like that option most.
[Eltharis Sunglaive] says: Sastri...you better not have sex with my runeblade...."

A writer values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency. --- Mark Twain
Avid adventurer
GMs do so little these days against people like that... and you gotta bear in mind that there are plenty of people out there who seek RP out so they can piss us off. Acting confused at their moronic language just doesn't affect them because that's what they've come to expect. It's like a proffession for them :P They are the experts of douchébaggery.

Also that was one fast response :O

The Nickelbolt Emporium will not be held responsible for any harm that falls upon you following use of company merchandise.
Forum Whore
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
not all of them are, however. We can't avoid the lot of them simply because they tend to be associated with the less savory.

Heh, and yeah, happened upon it just after you'd posted probably.

Avid adventurer
I know not all of them! I'm not saying everyone who doesn't RP is our ENEMY! That'd be boardering Nazism :P But I just think a lot of us are more aware of that threat than perhaps we should be. I sure as hell am because there's nothing I can do to stop people who deserve it and it makes me feel... well powerless I guess. I hate that. I usually RP with most people anyway. I like to build up the community where I can.
Forum Whore
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
and that's good, Rid. If you're going into the community and RPing with new RPers and the like, then this thread is not for you, as you're already doing those things. :) Don't worry.

Forum Member
  • Forum Member
I used to rp in DMF. I left for a number of reasons, but bottom line, one of the major problems is how people deal with things OOCly. After a while, when people start to take the game seriously and try to turn their fellow rpers against someone due to a perceived rp slight, people start to get fed up and leave. I'm pretty sure that's why a good number have quit, changed characters to hide, or otherwise left.
Forum Whore
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
I think this is more aimed at all of us who will--either by accident or desire--avoid and turn ourselves against those of different RP preferences or otherwise "noobish" understandings of what it means to RP with others. This is an attempt to lead by example. There will always be controversies on how much we should adhere to the lore provided us when Blizzard itself at times disregards it. It seems at least for many that at least trying to stick to the lore is smiled upon, while completely ignoring any and all bits of it, frowned upon.

I have always considered the lore as a guideline, not as the be all to end all--as I previously mentioned I believe. But if we accept all forms of RP, even those that are outlandishly apart from the lore, we end up losing the immersion that most RPers want. And as a result, that's when those RPers--will avoid those who are disregarding certain key unspoken rules involving RPing with others. That's when they leave the server, or find themselves drowning in the wash of everything that is not this game, this "world" that people enjoy, and have to either bubble themselves away from it, or leave entirely.

On the other end, we have those who refuse all and any attempts to give them the opportunity to expand their RP to others beyond their own RP circle. They get OOCly upset and disgusted, or snarl and bite, which makes those who really do mean well to throw their hands up and not even try to merge the server just a tad bit. It's these walls that have been built over time, by ignorance and pride. And those walls are what can come down, as long as we have patience, and gain trust to those who normally are used to just being looked down upon by the likes of RPers who "think they're better" than them.

No one is "better". No one is "more right." But there ARE universal rules of tolerance and respect for our fellow RPer. When those who RP succubus and sons of lore characters cry out that the other RPers are ignoring them, or avoiding them, then what do they do? They sink into their own bubbles, their own closed RP. And it's these closed circles that is killing this server, I'm afraid. The damage is being done on both fronts. There is nothing saying it has to be that way. And it is our right and responsibility to at least try to stop it.

Those who peruse our realm forums see mostly pve and pvp. Those who visit our server and search for RP barely are lucky to find any of it. The general answer to those questions of "where is the RP on this server?!" is "Oh, it's here. Just well hidden."

It does not HAVE to be. It will only help us in the long run, to gain more members to this server when they realize that yes, indeed, we DO have a valid RP source here. It isn't just a "deadzone".

We may not have quantity just yet. And we may not have quality. But we can have both, provided we take a little time once a week, to see the "other side."

ACE
  • < Skull marks the Treasure >
  • ACE

Ridrick wrote:
I agree with most of what you say, Sas, but the problem isn't really people who are bad at Rping.

The main problem is people who activly seek it out just so they can say hurtful things to the people who get involved. No one likes being insulted and ganged up on by assholes and that's usually what happens when you are more open about your hobbies on Darkmoon Faire. If we start publically announcing our events, before you know it, we have an entire guild of dickheads crashing it and being complete tossers just for the sake of it for about 2 hours. There's only so much of that one person can take.

Rid,

I have been organising tons of RP events both Alliance and Horde on this server for years, and I have always announced them on the realm forums. At one miss Undercity contest we had 1 idiot disturbing the event, but he was massively reported, a GM contacted me and the issue was resolved in 10 mins or so. I can recall 1 other rp event where we had two guys from some giuld pester us, then they brought a third guildie, but they quickly got fed up and left.

Idiots come and go, but it's up to you not to let them spoil your fun, report and ignore them.
1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1785&sid=4780b0c5f2db59cd9349f7556ca3d4b1&start=10
Jump to :