1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1833&sid=a6df79722a2f02afe87a951493b43fc5&start=10
Regular
view posts by this user Offline
  • < Dark Elders >
  • Regular
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Darkmoon Faire's (first?) Great Hunt

As most (I hope so, anyway) of you might've noticed, I've been rambling on about the Great Hunt for some time now. Of course, I ramble a lot, so you might've missed it between all my Mary Sue QQ or the endless rants that sometimes find their way on WWRP. But, for better or worse, I have finally decided to ramble about something that might interest more than a few of yours; Darkmoon Faire's Great Hunt.

The idea is simple, yet brilliant, and no matter how many times I pat myself on the shoulder, I still find it absolutely BRILLIANT! Here's the deal;

Step 1. Start Event.
Step 2. Event furthers.
Step 3. Event nears end.
Step 4. End Event.

Brilliant, right? I TOLD YOU SO.

What, that wasn't detailed enough for you? Bah. Simpletons, all of you! Fine, let me start from the beginning...

The event is intended to be open for Tauren of any level and class. And let me put some extra attention on that, here; Tauren only. This really has a simple reason, and that's because the Great Hunt is a centuries-old Tauren tradition; Tauren, being the tradition-bound old moos they are, are not always happy to share their secrets and rituals. Some of them are only ment to be seen by Tauren eyes, and the Great Hunt is one of them. You have to be a Tauren to be able to hunt with your brothers.

This is one of the reasons I'm going to allow -and made the event to allow- low level characters. I'm not expecting you to come barging in with a level 85, clad in epics and wielding two giant axes, or silken robes, a big rack, and a fancy staff. No, every Tauren of every level is allowed. The Great Hunt, after all, is a matter of pride and honour. One-shotting a Kodo will do your honour very little good. But I'll explain how we go around that later.

Step 1. On a fair, warm summer evening, the Tauren will arrive in Camp Narache. The event will be started with a small memorial for Cairne, after which the Tauren (who are at this point, still clad in armour and robe) will make their way up to Fargaze Mesa. There, they will gather around the ritual circle, with the person leading the event (that'd probably be me) in the middle. A speech will be held explaining the "rules" of this Great Hunt.

Each and every contestant will take his or her armour and gatherings off, and put them on a large pile in front of them, around the circle. Upon these piles they will swear and vow that they will honour the Earth Mother, the honour and pride of themselves/the ancestors, the spirits, and whatever they feel like vowing to (keep it serious though, I don't want to see vows to the Banjo God -- cookie for whoever gets the reference).

Half the honour comes from Hunting with pride, honour, nothing but your wisdom and your strength at hand. Large weapons will be disposed of, heavy armour put away; but of course, I don't want everyone running around naked, thinking it's some sort of nudist event, so I'll allow people to wear a basic outfit. Simple leather or cloth robes, some footwear, and a single weapon (exceptions made for bows and arrows; They can take a bow, a quiver, and an amount of arrows with them, or bullets and blackpowder with a gun). Magic is another story, but I've yet to see whether using magic in honourable combat is actually honourable.

The idea is that there's a lot of talking before and after Mag's speech. Boasting, betting, talking about how everyone hunts, how they kill, what weapons they use... it inspires people to show off those fancy attacks and tactics they've come up with. Tales of how they got their weapons, whether magic is honourable or not, etcetera, etcetera. Part of not allowing an expensive, high-level outfit is so that even a level 1 Tauren wouldn't look or feel out of place. That level one robe is just as fine as another other low-level Tauren-ishy robe, and I expect the hardcore elf players to be forced to roll a level 1 Tauren if they want to tag along, or high-levels getting their hands on those low-level robes just for the sake of "honour".

After that, they set out for their own kill. They can talk and think about what they will go hunt, where they will go, how they'll do it. They can ask advice, or discuss tactics, and then set out to hunt. I'm guessing a meal and a blessing before they leave is a great way to end the first night's RP.

Step 2. The actual hunt itself is something that may be RPd in smaller circles, or not RPd at all. Due to having low levels around, it would indeed be unfair for the highest levels taurens about to come home with the biggest trophy; it doesn't work that way! No, you can set out to any Tauren lands (Mulgore, Barrens, Stonetalons, Desolace, Ferelas, Un'goro, Thousand Needles) or any nearby lands where a mighty animal might be hunted down (don't go overboard; Anything other than Kalimdor is out of the question, and the far reaches of Kalimdor are iffy already -- remember that you need to travel up and down, too, and time spend in the saddle is less time hunting).

If people want to create an event around this, go ahead. I just designed it this way to be fair to everyone of every level, not just "high levels get the high kills". This way even a level one could come home with a mighty kill, not bested by a level 85. I just saw very little reason to actually RP everyone going out alone to hunt on their own, with no players to take up the roles of NPC-monsters to be hunted.

Step 3. Coming back with your trophy and your story. A trophy can be anything from a tusk, a fang, a skull, a claw, a tail, or an entire hide. As long as you've got proof of your deeds, all is well. This is followed by a story, about how you learned of the beast, tracked it down, and eventually bested it. Everyone does this, but depending on the amount of people showing up, we might have to make the stories longer/shorter as demanded. This is followed by the right to don the armour again, when the deed was honourable (backstabbing a proud beast might not be your best story to tell, here), and a large meal to honour the bested animals and their spirits, as well as a toast to their sacrifice.

Remember, nothing is ever wasted, so it's not uncommon for someone to strip a carcass of it's meat, bones, hide, and intestines for other usages (trust me, every bit can be used -- I know).

Step 4. Closing up. Stories could be told in depth, people go home again, tell some tales; frankly, there might not really be a step 4. All in all, this event should be spread over two days in the weekend, with two weeks inbetween for people to come up with a story or NPC to kill. A story, a trophy... I guess two weeks ought to be more than enough time to brainstorm.

Anyway, the important part is that the event is all about honour, and the eternal, Great Hunt. It's not about bringing home a large tusk, but how you got it, where it came from, and the stories. It's really just a big, long, story night times two. It might also finally prod people into rolling Taurens, leveling them, playing them, and most importantly, RPing them.

....Rant's done. Mag out. I want my bed.

[ Last edited by Magnadon on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total. ]

It doesn't feel, it doesn't think
It doesn't laugh or cry
All it does, from dusk till dawn
Is make the soldiers die
Forum Member
  • Forum Member
This is great. And as is said we need more Tauren RP. Good thinkig
Avid adventurer
I can think of a fair few ways to make an idea like this work as I spend a lot of time trying to work my way through events without having a higher level bias thing going on.

Something I've always found that can make an event more dynamic is luck rolls with results swayed by a ruling body of some kind.

Say at the end of Step 2 when everyone has gone out to hunt something, they could all perform a roll check to see how badly they were injured during their endevour, or even if they were able to kill their beast or not. You could easily host a hub within a chat or raid channel to help determine the events of the fight itself, using a turn based, round robin system to cycle to each of the partcipents in their zones.

Put an apparent risk for fighting some beasts over others. If someone goes after a prairie dog, they are probably going to be fine. If someone wants to bring down a chimera, they are going to be more likely to recieve an injury or two, but if they win, the reward and boasting will be much greater.

There's just a few ideas to work on. If you like the sound of it, Mag, then I can happily help you set it up.

The Nickelbolt Emporium will not be held responsible for any harm that falls upon you following use of company merchandise.
Regular
  • < Dark Elders >
  • Regular
Sounds like a good idea, although I'd prefer not having to force people to go out in the open, since that would force people to level, or risk getting the low-levels eaten alive. But aye, a rolling system to decide whether the tauren takes a hit or actually manages to get his kill...

It's a great idea. Reckon we can set up a /roll-based table that allocates where the target is wounded, too? Like, roll for success, roll for wound sustains, where the second roll declares where the target was hit, what happened (gut ripped, leg wound, arm wound, horn wound, facial cut), etcetera, etcetera.
Would make for great reasons to actually get people some scars instead of the numerous "There are scars all over his/her body" in MRP.

It doesn't laugh or cry
Is make the soldiers die
Forum Whore
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
do want! I've never played a tauren because I never had a reason to. But this seems like it'd be fun! I'll sign up on a hoofer alt :)
[Eltharis Sunglaive] says: Sastri...you better not have sex with my runeblade...."

A writer values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency. --- Mark Twain
Veteran Poster
  • Veteran Poster
Maggy, you know i got yo back bro.

but in all seriousness, i hope both horde and alliance players will roll a tauren for this event. So Tauren RP can get a jolt.

Debate is the first step towards a solution, Arguing is taking that first step back.
Veteran Poster
  • < The Magisterum >
  • Veteran Poster
Relax brah, i got this

In all seriousness though. I will be attending on my druid. While he himself will not partake in the hunt itself he will provide boons and offer to mend those who have suffered an injury of any kind.

"The fire burns and it will forever, blaze for the ones who stand strong"
Templars of Steel - Hammerfall
Donor
  • < Clan Bladewind >
  • Donor
Sounds really good!

I'm already regretting that I laid my main tauren (Erra) to rest and will not be coming back as her. But I keep it open to come as some other Tauren.

When would these events be taking place?
Regular
  • < Dark Elders >
  • Regular
I've yet to pick an exact date, because frankly, I don't know when to expect the highest turn-up, or what actually works best for the server. I'm guessing two nights in a weekend with a week between for preparation and hunting. I'd have to take a look at my IRL business too, since I've got a birthday party to organize and whatnot.
It doesn't laugh or cry
Is make the soldiers die
Avid adventurer
  • Avid adventurer
Sounds good! I'll definitely pop up with my tauren if this happens ^^. He has been out of RP too long.
Broken dreams I’ll follow mine to the end of my borrowed time.
I’ve been walking down this road too long got my bags packed and I hit the door.
Then I make a stop at the liquor store cause my will is weak but my whiskey is strong.
1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1833&sid=a6df79722a2f02afe87a951493b43fc5&start=10
Jump to :