Regular
view posts by this user Offline
  • < Dalaran Book Club >
  • Regular
    Reply with quote Post a reply
I'm trying to come up with /roll systems to be used in RP for events like scouting, skirmishes with NPC's and perhaps boss fights in events. But before I get too carried away with what I think would work, I'd like to see other peoples ideas too/steal them for my own :P

So far I'm thinking if your trying to scout and be all stealthy you would roll on your way to cover if you make a, sound etc, then roll again to see if an enemy hears you if you do make a sound. I'd like to keep it simple, but want to take into account what armor the character is wearing too. A plate wearer regardless of skill and strenght will make more noise than a leather wearer.
Avid adventurer
  • < Clan Bladewind >
  • Avid adventurer
DnD system with different equipment giving +s and -s to rolls. *sagely nod*
Adraea - "It seems Kayra has some points in Elven Subterfuge!"
Regular
  • < Dalaran Book Club >
  • Regular

Valeriel wrote:
DnD system with different equipment giving +s and -s to rolls. *sagely nod*

I don't knao anything about D&D really, but thanks it gives me a starting point to look into :)
Avid adventurer
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1702

There's a considerably better starting point.

As GM, it's incredibly easy to give bonus percentages to a 1-100 roll based on what you believe is realistic. Using roll rules isn't hard. The general idea is you use rolls for things that have the genuine possibility of failing. For stealth gameplay, you can add aspects to the environment people have to avoid. I tend to make people roll when they try to ACT quietly, or try to approach someone with superior hearing, such as an elf.

If they are just sneaking around, doing nothing, then making them roll constantly makes it look like their sneaking is randomly becomming good, good, bad, bad, good, bad, which is frustrating.

Just remember, during roll scenarios and such, time slows down. Roll fights don't take 2 minutes for a slow guy to type their response. In the scenario you just mentioned in which someone rolls behind cover, you could have a guard slowly start to turn around. Then you say "You have one round to remove yourself from his line of sight". They dive for cover, do a roll to decide how noisy it is. You can add or subtract bonuses from the initial number so long as you have a number which they need to be OVER in order to succeed. If they make noise, the npc can come and check it out, pressuring the player into taking action.

So, to summerise, make sneak rolls for when characters approach other characters, try to do things while sneaking, such as use machines, distract people, climbing over something silently with a guard on the other side, but there's not a lot of point in having rolls just so they can walk quietly.

The Nickelbolt Emporium will not be held responsible for any harm that falls upon you following use of company merchandise.
Forum Whore
  • < Alternate >
  • Forum Whore
Dray sums it up nicely. And I have now learned something new as well. Thanks, Dray. :)
[Eltharis Sunglaive] says: Sastri...you better not have sex with my runeblade...."

A writer values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency. --- Mark Twain
Jump to :