•  Topic 4.0.1 Frost
  •   |  Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:34 pm 
Veteran Poster
view posts by this user Offline
  • Veteran Poster
    Reply with quote Post a reply
So, hopefully now peeps have, like me, settled after the "oh god wtfbbq?!?" that was yesterday's patch.

So...thoughts on Frost now? Feels so odd not having to add a 'tanking' or 'DPS' after that.

As far as I can see, my rotation is Icy Touch and Plague Strike as normal, followed by Obliterate, followed by 2 Blood Strikes, then just...juggling Obliterate, Frost Strike and Festering Strike (the latter to refresh diseases). Oh, and throwing in an Icy Touch if Rime procs and I've got nothing better to do =/

Saying that, Festering Strike seems weird: sometimes it'll refresh them, and sometimes it appears to have no affect and my diseases end up dropping off. I realise that it says that it extends the time, but...does it do it only once? I'm sure that I've used it twice and observed by diseases refreshing. Tips, anyone?

Also, should I be saving Obliterate for -just- Killing Machine procs, or use it anyway and hold back on Frost Strikes if I proc KM and Obliterate is about to become available?

Still, I'm doing roughly 4.4k dps on a dummy, which is just under 1k more than what I was doing with Blood dps, so I'm a very happy bunny. All that worry for nothing! 8) If anyone could offer some tips to my two queries, or at least point me to some kind of guide, that'd be appreciated. /cast Summon Shiryou

8)

Edit: realised that Howling Blast does more damage than Icy Touch, so I'll be using that if it's off cd instead of IT.

Another edit: I'm a derp. HB doesn't have a cd anymore. For shame.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your best friend and worst enemy is your own mind.

The time of the Argent Crusade, is meow!
Erk, I didn't see this post!

I have my thoughts and will put some down after work!

http://reformedmarysue.wordpress.com/
Veteran Poster
  • Veteran Poster
Finally, after all this time of waiting and praying, our plees are heard! \o/

I can add some more thinking stuffz though, now that I've had...err...a coupla weeks? I

Anywhoo, I'm starting to like spamming FS with the occasional Oblit, hitting that if Killing Machine procs, with the option of waiting for it if Oblit is nearly ready. Blood Tap helps too, certainly at the start of a long combat (i.e. a boss).

Howling Blast is a double-edged sword, at least for the moment. With your average sized pack, it can do insane damage, but it can be -so- easy to get potentially lethal aggro. With a dangerous pack, I'm more tempted now to use Icy Touch followed up with Pestillence, throwing in a Plague Strike beforehand if I reckon it'll take more than a few seconds to down them. I'm hoping that, as we start to gain lvls again, it'll become safer to use and that tanks' opening aoe will generate more aggro. Blizz said that things would be a bit...iffy at first. This is from a 2Her perspective, so I have no idea how much all this might differ from a DWer. I'd guess not much.

I'm still unsure about Festering Strike. Should I be using it often, sometimes, or just use my Freezing Fog procs (it -is- Freezing Fog, isn't it? Can't check on these machines =/) and a Plague Strike? Oh, and Blood Strike, for the Death Runes. I find myself rarely using it. Should I be fitting it more into my rotation? If I remember rightly, the 4 set tier 11 bonus gives you a damage boost proc of some kind whenever you generate a DR, so I probably will be using BS more anyway when I get my 4th tier 11 piece.

Overall though, I'm happy to give up Blood DPS' cheesy healing for the crazy-mental DPS increase. Not quite as simple as Blood DPS was (namely, the Pestillence glyph making refreshing diseases a doddle), but the core rotation (disease, diease, hackhackhack) is satisfyingly familiar. I look forward to things smoothing out in the near future.

Avid adventurer
  • < Cult of the Unbound >
  • Avid adventurer
On Ghaz, (still mostly in I200 tank gear.)

I've got above 3.5k DPS entirey by using Icy Touch then Plauge Strike for diseases, 2x Blood Strike then spamming Frost Strike and Obliterate when KM proccs. occasionally using Festering strike. (which i've had no trouble with.) but don't forget that you'll get more Runic Power from both Icy Touch and Plauge Strike than you will from Festering Strike? and Frost strike does refresh 'spent' runes, so. yep ^ so really, as Frost Strike uses require Runic Power, i'de go for using them both rather than Festering. and i only ever use Howling Blast when ever uhm. the Obliterate proc that makes it free to cast procs ^ ^

The Pysker, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
Veteran Poster
  • Veteran Poster
Mhmm, that's what I've found myself doing. And yeah, using Icy and Plague to get RP rather than just use Festering does seem like a good idea. I'd be more inclined to use Howling Blast more often though, because of the higher damage, even on single targets. That...free proc...thing, Freezing Fog or w/e it is, gives you a free Icy or Howling, so I'd prefer to use Howling over Icy everytime, unless there's a danger of getting aggro (eg. on the initial pull, or you're being just that damn awesome and have high threat =3)

Veteran Poster
  • Veteran Poster
So, it's been a while, it's no longer 4.0.1 anymore...I think...

Anyway. I guess Elitist Jerks is the 'go to' forum for class advice for a reason. I've been following their advice for a while now and yeah, it's uber. The most striking, world-shattering change I've had to come to terms with is...brace yourselves...DPSing in Unholy Presence, not Frost. I know, crazy, huh? But, they're right when they say that the biggest advantage is the increased rate of Killing Machine procs. Getting used to the sheer speed of the presence was interesting.

But anyway, the way to go about your business seems to be as before: diseases, turn your blood runes into death runes, try and use Obliterate with KM procs and spam Frost Strike when you either have nearly full Runic Power or have nothing else that you can do. I no longer use Festering Strike, as discussed earlier, and just refresh diseases the good ol' fashioned way. I prefer to open with Icy Touch on the tank's initial target rather than Howling Blast, for fear of grabbing aggro, then just using HB after that in conjunction with Freezing Fog procs. At the moment, my overall DPS is about 10k and with a fair few normal dungeons I've been generating too much aggro, so the infamous heroic dungeons beckon...

Jump to :