1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1244&sid=e1669057e450b67d32e69709f70db39a&start=10
WoW Addict
view posts by this user Offline
  • < Tusks and Horns >
  • WoW Addict
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Good morning-after-patch-day! I got back on this morning yay! To find my beloved Ailera in disarray. Her spells are all gone, her macros are outdated and her glyphs are a mess. I have no idea what gems I need these days, its all a disaster, I am in tears!

Ok, not literally.

So I found some reviews of the new talent trees. It seems fairly straight forward, there's very little in the new tree that looks dps-ish (with grateful thanks to the shockadin thread which I read with interest even tho I have no plans to shock!) so I put just about everything I had into Holy, and 3 into Divinity.

Then I looked at Glyphs. Messed those up royally but at least I can fix them and there are a lot of options.

But - Stats. I suspect I need to regem. Are we still stacking Int and haste? Anything new?

And what do we do about no SS?

*crai*

Any suggestion about sites? And not elitistjerks, they are too confusing for me.

Thank you for any help you can give a poor "casual".

A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
Saranini
*goes off to find Slashy*

I'll point her here Zar! She'd love to help you out I'm sure, we did the holy pala run yesterday. I know one thing. YOU GUYS RIP OPEN AND THEN LIGHT COMES OUT!
Veteran Poster
Okay, can't yet come to the rescue too much as my healing experience last night was chaotic to say the least (I'll recap that in the end too), but here is what I dug up and also posted on our guild site.

Quote:
Okay, I know Holydins are few amongst the Vanguard, but we can neatly put all the scareness of our Holy, Protection AND Retribution Paladins in here! But as a Holy mainspec, I'll just fuss about Holy a bit now. So, this info is in no way the ultimate truth, this is just my contemplation on the subject.

First of all, I guess this will be the spec I go with:
http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#scIbzrduuczZcb

Then in-dept talent preview:
Arbiter of the Light -> NO, serves no use to healing whatsoever
Protector of the Innocent -> YES, kind of have to take these points, and the self-healing will probably turn out to be ossum in fights where everybody takes damage
Judgements of the Pure -> YES, the good old haste talent, yes please
Clarity of Purpose -> YES, Holy Light is the low mana cost heal now, but it still has a super long cast time, so making that shorter is goooood
Last Word -> YES, I have no clue of Word of Glory yet, but this sounds very mucho useful-o
Blazing Light -> NO, do note the word DAMAGE there, and the lack of HEALING
Divine Favor -> YES, might even remember to use this now
Denounce -> NO, meh, not really much use
Infusion of Light -> YES, we use Holy Shock loads now, we want fast Holy Lights
Daybreak -> YES, will be one of our main procs now
Enlightened Judgements -> YES, need to shove these points here eventually and hitting with judgements means a lot to the judging mana regen shizzle
Beacon of Light -> YES, finally Bacon, poor Bacon, all nerfed now but I'll still love you
Speed of Light -> YES, speed sounds neat and also Haste is tasteh
Sacred Cleansing -> YES, they nerfed Cleanse so that it no longer dispels Magic, but whaddayaknow, it still does for Holy with this talent
Convinction -> YES, we get critical hits all the time while healing, that adding to healing is good
Aura Mastery -> YES, kinda meh but have to shove the point somewhere
Paragon of Virtue -> NO, kinda have to ditch this even though it's not crap
Tower of Radiance -> YES, we want to generate Holy Power thank you
Blessed Life -> NO, I'm a healer I don't take direct damage unless I PvP
Light of Dawn -> YES, oh yes, our sexy new top tier talent!

Then in other trees, there are a few options, I chose mine over Divinity (which is also good), just feeling I need judgement range as judging is now a means of mana regen, as well as big Holy Shocks.

For Glyphs, WoWInsider suggested the following:
Prime -> Holy Shock, Word of Glory, Seal of Insight
Major -> Divine Plea, Light of Dawn, Beacon of Light

But as I'm clueless about Glyphs right now, I'll get back to this later.

So, I am shit scared to see what has happened to my class, but I found a rather good resource for preparation. Copypasting text here, source link below for more info. So the next bit is from Class Forums.

So, you're holy and you're running out of mana like crazy. No, it's not a nerf, it's a change in gameplay that you must adapt to. You can't play like you used to. If you do, you'll be back here on the forums making posts how Blizz destroyed Holy and you are cancelling your account. Instead, here's what you do:

First, cast Holy Shock at every opportunity, unless everyone is at full health.
Holy Shock is a great heal. Instant cast, very cheap, and talents sometimes allow you to cast it without triggering a cooldown. Before, you could get by without using it that much. No longer the case, use it.

Second, FoL and Divine Light spam will blow through your mana fast. FoL is only slightly less mana costly than Divine Light, meaning you can't use FoL to top off people's health. FoL is used only for emergency healing when there's lots of damage being thrown around. Yes, I know FoL used to be the most cost-effective heal in the game, well, it's not now.

If you want to top off health, use Holy Light, which is now a low cost, slow cast, small heal. It heals for around the same amount as Holy Shock, but can be used when damage is slow.

Beacon your tank. Some paladins used to beacon themselves, but talent changes have given us a permanent beacon-self sort of ability, so the only one to really worry about is the tank. If you heal your tank, you'll build up holy power, which can be used for our new instant-cast, free heal (Word of Glory).

Light of Dawn is our new AoE heal. Comes in handy, self-explanatory.

-Remember to cast judgement. You have a chance of regaining mana, and it'll increase casting speed.
-You have lots of cooldowns, don't forget to use them.
-You have a new bar to pay attention to: Holy Power
-Existing Spells have changed and need to be re-evaluated how and when you use them.
-Glyphs have changed, re-evaluate them
-Gems have changed, your gear might have lost socket bonuses

HP = Holy Power
3HP = 3 charges of Holy Power
WoG = Word of Glory
HS = Holy Shock
HL = Holy Light
DL = Divine Light
FoL = Flash of Light

One person needs healing, no immediate damage threats: HS > HL > WoG
-HS might net you some Holy Power if it crits, which is nice for storing for damage that might be coming up soon

Your tank is about to die: 3HP WoG > HS > 2HP WoG > FoL > 1HP WoG > DL
-3HP WoG should be used before HS so you have a chance to build another HP charge when you use it. blow your instant casts, then focous on FoL until tank is in a safe health range to use Divine Light.

Several party members need healing, small incoming damage: HS > WoG > HL = DL > FoL
-Follow this order. If there's a lot of healing to do, or damage steadily coming in, use DL to get people back in shape. If you just need to get everyone back to full but there's not a risk of people dying, use HL.

Several party members need healing, large incoming damage: 3HP WoG > HS > 2HP WoG > DL > 1HP WoG > FoL > HL
-Yyour primary goal is making sure people don't die, so this priority table is flexible. Rank FoL higher if someone is about to die and cant survive until you finish casting DL.

Everyone is taking damage, things are crazy, who can worry about mana at a time like this:
3HP WoG > HS > 2HP WoG > FoL > DL > 1HP WoG > HL
-If mana is no issue and you just have to keep people alive to finish off the fight, then go ahead and spam FoL until people are in a safe health range, then pick up with DL. Just don't forget about HS, and definitely don't forget about WoG.

Why is it important?

Because it can really shake up a rotation. It allows you extra moments to think about where your next several heals are going to go, and evaluate whether you want to use them now or perhaps use them on an upcoming movement phase.

What are they?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q u o t e:

Daybreak - Your next Holy Shock will not trigger a cooldown. Lasts 12 seconds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to back instant heals, plus a likely Word of Glory during or soon after. Dramatically increases our mobility while healing. The 12 seconds is MORE than ample time to plan it's use. Also provides a nice Holy PvP / Soloing burst. More so even when proc'ing the following.

Q u o t e:
Denounce - Your next Exorcism is instant and free. 20 seconds remaining.

It's just nice to know that you have this after being well below other healers with respect to DPS capabilities. During PvE, it's free damage for us whenever it pops and we can spare a GCD.. which we should try to get into the habit of.

Q u o t e:
Infusion of Light - Reduces the cast time of your next Holy Light or Divine Light by 1.5 sec. 15 seconds remaining

The equates to a 1sec Holy Light (3sec base, less another 0.5sec with Clarity of Purpose). That alone is very nice, bringing us back to early WotLK. But it gets better (possibly). The latest Beta build has added Divine Light to this proc as well. So either your next HL or DL will be a 1sec cast.

Q u o t e:
Speed of Light - Casting Holy Shock grants 30% spell haste for your next Flash of Light, Holy Light or Divine Light, and casting Holy Radiance grants you 60% movement speed for 4 sec. Also lowers the cooldown on Holy Radiance by 30 sec at all times.

It doesn't seem like a proc-watch, but it is due to it's interaction with Holy Radiance. You will be rotating through your spells fairly quickly, and the buff will be used just as fast (see: IoL above). If you know that a movement phase is coming, it maybe be beneficial to delay that next cast until after you use your sprint.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27189093107&sid=1

Will know more about this after I ACTUALLY GET TO PLAY

Okay, then, how did this go in practice, aka. Narcy's first healing in 4.0.1.

Okay, my first run as a Holydin was yesterday, it was an easy heroic though (Gundrak), I think my mana never dropped below 35K (yes I had 37K mana with buffs, so what was previously 30K max is now 34K by default). Adjusting healing will be tough though, I was quite afraid to use Flash of Light or the Divine thingy because of the steep mana costs, so I mostly experimented with Holy Light. This will require a lot of practice, I was a bit lost with the Holy Shock proc (which lets you do two in a row next time), as well as managing the Holy Shock -> quicker Holy Light system. Also the nerfed Bacon DID sting a bit, I was of course still sticking to my usual healing style, but slower heals + weaker Bacon meant the tank could get quite harmed with spike damage. I FORGOT TO JUDGE for the first bit of the instance -.- so haste experiments failed there as well. The new big heal does seem quite potent, and Flash of Light offers quick topping up when needed. The new Flashlight Heal (aka. Light of Dawn) looks fun, and is also a nice way to throw heals around when everyone is taking damage. Glyphed the cooldown isn't too bad and it heals for quite a lot at Narcy's gear level. Managing Holy Power and Word of Glory will be a thing that will probably take the most time to learn, now I just used it randomly when it was up. I think being a FoL healer before helped here, because I was used to using Holy Shock loads, while the Holy Light school might find the changes more severe. But either way, everyone WILL need a lot of practice before all will go as smoothly as before.

So, you know, TL;DR:
- If you heal with Holy Light, you will never go oom, it's very very weak though.
- Use Holy Shock as much as you can, notice when you have Daybreak (so you can do two in a row), notice when you have Infusion of Light (which means your Holy Light will be fast for a change).
- The Flashlight (Light of Dawn) seems somewhat suitable for quick group heals.
- I still do Bacon on tank, so probably not changed, you just can't rely on it anymore, you have to heal the tank as well, but it makes sure tank gets heal when you need to toss heals around a bit more.
- Remember to judge! (unlike I did)
- The self-healing talent (meaning the one that heals you whenever you heal anything) is ossuuum, well, not that you are dying most of the time, but still, you never have to heal yourself really, so just focus on the tank and the others.
- Ow, Divine Favor, which now is a cooldown thinger, forgot to use that, but probably in raids comes in handy.
- Whenever you do Holy Shock, you gain Holy Power, when you have Holy Power, you can use Word of Glory (instant, mana-free heal, best to put it on your bars so you see when it's ready).

So yes, I have a lot to learn about all these new cooldowns and procs and shizzle, but slowly learning. Will come back when I have something more composed to say, let's say once I've actually done one ICC and seen how I work outside of piss-easy heroics.

Grand Marshal of the Vanguard of Valor - Slashcat
Assistant to the Grand Marshal - Narcisa

http://www.vanguardofvalor.com - join us, or check out our events and news!
Veteran Poster
Gem-wise, I think we want what we did before: int int int, with a hint of int and int on the side. If you feel you want to go for the correct socket colour (meaning, not socket red gems all around, which you CAN do), then for blue int + spirit and for yellow int + haste. Spirit is your new regen stat, for some reason I had quite a lot of it so didn't experience mana problems yet. But stacking intellect > all. Crit you can kind of forget, as there is no more mana return from crits.

As a small tidbit of info, BoM and BoW have merged, so you have AP and Mp5 in the same buff. So if people keep whining for BoW, tell them to bugger off. Also you now use Seal of Insight, which is Seal of Wisdom & Light combined, and also glyphed it buffs your healing by 5 %. Auras, not really experiemented yet, I guess Concentration or resistance, depending on what you're facing.

Veteran Poster
Also, here is a good link:
http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?63314-WotLK-Holy-Paladin-Guide-(updated-for-4.0.1)

To be honest, I did not quite get the "rotation" in the copypaste from Class Forums, so this might be better. Just find your healing flow first, get comfy with the new spells, then look deeper into how to do it more effectively.

WoW Addict
  • < Tusks and Horns >
  • WoW Addict
Ah Slashy you are my hero! Thanks! so much clearer than all the scary stuff I've been reading.
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
Master Poster
  • < The Crimson Ring >
  • Master Poster
Slashy, one question. If you are going for healing and no DMG talents, why select Crusade instead of Divinity? I understand the Judgements, as it is always fun to be able to judge from further away, but Crusade?
Veteran Poster
Crusade: Increases the damage and healing of your Holy Shock by 30 %. I think currently it's kind of the player's choice, go for 6 % overall healing, or 30 % extra on Holy Shock alone. I am used to spamming Holy Shock and am quite intriqued by the mechanic, so I want it to be as buff as possible. But it's, well to me at least, somewhat equal to Divinity, so that can be kept just fine. Just have to choose between the two at this point, in Cata we can take both obviously.

Veteran Poster
Ow, also, just because it might get lost in the other stuff, priority stat-wise goes:

1. Intellect
2. Spirit
3. Haste

At least according to the above link. But just remember, int + spirit only if you really want the socket bonus.

Master Poster
  • < The Crimson Ring >
  • Master Poster
Oh right, I completely missed the bit about Holy Shock.
1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1244&sid=e1669057e450b67d32e69709f70db39a&start=10
Jump to :