Previous 1 . 2 . 3 ./viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1260&sid=0db6d623b50d617377aecab447aeea37&start=20
Forum Whore
view posts by this user Offline
  • Forum Whore
    Reply with quote Post a reply
AAAAAAARCANE BLAAAAAAAAST!
How ridiculous and unrealistic is the man who is astonished at anything that happens in nature.

- Marcus Aurelius
Regular
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Regular
Watching Kaeldrin's DPS dwarf mine as he rampantly spams the one button in dungeon makes me sadface.
Saranini
No.

Mages are among the worst DPS in raid situations, about 8k less than hunters for example. We need 1700 hit and are the only class that needs so much and has no hit talents. We are crit reliant but our crit has tumbled down to almost being non existent. You can not spam arcane blast at 85 as your fourth arcane blast will cost about 10k, try to keep that up for more than 5 seconds and you go oom.

But I don't mind. I find the DPS/mana struggle quite interesting. It's not a problem on trash naturally, but since boss fights last so long now, it's quite an exercise there.

As long as mages stay in instances, we do fine, in raids, we don't. But we're early in expansion, I'm sure it will be sorted in a few weeks/months.
Forum Whore
  • Forum Whore
Nah, I'm just talking about levelling and PvP situations. My Night Elf mage is now level 72 (would be higher, but you know, Cataclysm) and honestly, I'm one-shooting mobs when questing and in PvP, if I get on those demolishers in SotA, it's like swatting flies.
How ridiculous and unrealistic is the man who is astonished at anything that happens in nature.

- Marcus Aurelius
Saranini

Ilathion Silverleaf wrote:
Nah, I'm just talking about levelling and PvP situations. My Night Elf mage is now level 72 (would be higher, but you know, Cataclysm) and honestly, I'm one-shooting mobs when questing and in PvP, if I get on those demolishers in SotA, it's like swatting flies.

Leveling will be crap easy all the way through, even 80-85 really, unless you get a ton of respawns on you :D
Regular
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Regular
  • Website

Quote:
You can not spam arcane blast at 85 as your fourth arcane blast will cost about 10k, try to keep that up for more than 5 seconds and you go oom.

That's the sexy burn phase! AB spam, arcane torrent, mana potions and mana gems. 60k crits. Beyond yummy.

Then you evocate, and do something mana neutral... ABx2, AM if it's proc'd or ABar. Stable DPS, about 7-8kish.

Lord-Commander Kaeldrin Perilion of the Phoenix Guard

We are not currently recruiting. Please visit www.phoenixguard.co.uk for more information.
Saranini

Kaeldrin Perilion wrote:

Quote:
You can not spam arcane blast at 85 as your fourth arcane blast will cost about 10k, try to keep that up for more than 5 seconds and you go oom.

That's the sexy burn phase! AB spam, arcane torrent, mana potions and mana gems. 60k crits. Beyond yummy.

Then you evocate, and do something mana neutral... ABx2, AM if it's proc'd or ABar. Stable DPS, about 7-8kish.

Yes, and 7-8k dps is pure rubbish at 85. I don't know if you have done heroics yet, but boss fights are long, and ABx2 is very viable, but often AM doesn't proc after 2, or even 3, or even 4, and then you have to use ABar or go oom, and ABar is crap DPS. So of course you can finish fights without going oom, but you do rubbish DPS compared to other classes. If you look at simulations from raid environments you'll notice that arcane mages do worse than frost mages and worse than almost all other classes.
Regular
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Regular
I'm finding most PuG DPSers pulling 6-8k DPS. I'd say it's more average than "rubbish" as people aren't decked out in 359 epic sets as of yet. Also, I'd rather have three classes that CC and pull 5k DPS than three wrathtards that pull 15k DPS and don't CC, instead spamming "gogo" when a tank isn't holding the " move forward" key permanently down.
Saranini

Alekii wrote:
I'm finding most PuG DPSers pulling 6-8k DPS. I'd say it's more average than "rubbish" as people aren't decked out in 359 epic sets as of yet. Also, I'd rather have three classes that CC and pull 5k DPS than three wrathtards that pull 15k DPS and don't CC, instead spamming "gogo" when a tank isn't holding the " move forward" key permanently down.

Yes but that is not my point. I like the new instances, I like the mage class, like I said I'm not too bothered with it because it's still early in the game. The discussion is not about CC or anything of that, I'm talking purely DPS. Stand still fight, no one moves, no one CC's, everyone DPS on boss for 6 minutes, then compare.

And I'm sorry, but 6k-8k dps is rubbish. I did 10k (outside of ICC) easily at lvl80, and I do mean without even focussing. Now, 5 levels up, you do 2k less, while most other classes do more DPS than at lvl80, as you know, logically it should be.

I understand everyone has observations. But there is also just ... numbers. It's all well and good to just rely on anecdotal evidence, and again, I don't mind this, it's all good for running instances. But come raid situations and mages wanting their spot, it DOES matter. Just like DK's and their DPS, you can say 'DK's are fine in my pugs'. Good, but those DK's would also like a spot in raid groups and the raid will probably prefer the warrior even though the DK can intterupt more and slow things down.
Regular
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Regular
  • Website
To be honest, I’ve not looked at the latest numbers. On the last weeks of the beta, in fully gemmed and enchanted T11, I was pulling 12k Arcane and 13-14k as fire. Based on that, I thought my 7-8k dps was good – as it was at least around the same level as other people who have enough gear to do heroics but don’t yet have their set from heroics.

I’ve pugged all heroics apart from deadmines and SFK, and my groups did fine once we’d worked out the tactics. Yes, boss fights could have been quicker with more DPS, but we did fine as it was.

And yes, I do appreciate raiding is very different to heroics. But I don’t raid current content, only old content (i.e Ulduar) so I can’t comment on whether it’s good enough or not. Last I read frost was totally OP and due a serious nerf.

Come to think of it, I’m probably not the best person to discuss this with. You could throw all the numbers at me, and I’d still tell you Arcane is the best spec, simply for the fact that out of all three I find Arcane *by far* the most enjoyable.

Lord-Commander Kaeldrin Perilion of the Phoenix Guard

We are not currently recruiting. Please visit www.phoenixguard.co.uk for more information.
Previous 1 . 2 . 3 ./viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1260&sid=0db6d623b50d617377aecab447aeea37&start=20
Jump to :