Previous 1 . 2 . 3
Regular
view posts by this user Offline
  • < Vanguard of Valor >
  • Regular
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Haven't played arcane at 85, but my frost mage in a heroic had 10-11k dps on single target, and only mana problems were when I had to aoe. I did have to switch from Molten to Mage Armour at about half of the fight, and mana gem helped with aoe fights.

Normal blue dungeon+questing gear, enough to enter a heroic.

It's all fun and games until a mage gets stabbed. Then it gets hilarious.
Saranini
Well I agree with you Kael, I don't care too much for numbers in the sense that I used to enjoy fire, and never ever went off it (even when it wasn't highest DPS spec) until we got into heroic raids with VoV and I felt bad for not bringing the bestestest spec to the table, so I went arcane. Now I'm kind of in love with arcane, and now they made it poo :(

I checked some ej simulations, fire mage does great, top 3 dps, frost does average, and arcane is below the tank :D But yes, these are simulations in T11, and we're not there yet. I might've sounded grumpy, I get that sometimes :) But that wasn't my intention, nor was it my intention to say DO NOT SPEC ARCANE, because you'll see my spec, being all... arcane. And it will stay that way, I might go fire should I be absolute poo in raids. But at the moment, I'm completely like you, it works in heroics, so it's all good.

I'm also not one of those QQ mages. I love my arcane still, it's not as easy as it once was and that is good. But I'm just.. realistic. You know, stating fact.

BUT! In heroics, it's still easy to top the meters for me, I do about 10k and that's enough it seems. I did go fire for the croc guy in the thingie with the croc adss (I suck at names), due to AoE being needed, but other than that, my arcane spec gets me through splendidly. Oh, and PoM sheep is awesome in heroics :)

EDIT; Oh yeah, and Yakster, frost is easiest mana to manage, fire is a bit hard, arcane the hardest. But I don't go oom in heroics either. But just imagine a 10 minute fight, spec arcane, and see how long it lasts :) Basically you'll have to do ABx2 rotation and then a stack drop.
Regular
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Regular
  • Website
Ah, no worries, I always seem to come off as very defensive.

I can't seem get fire to work, tbh. I tend to tinker before I research... just not got to the research bit yet. I can keep a high DPS for all of... a minute before I OOM.

Lord-Commander Kaeldrin Perilion of the Phoenix Guard

We are not currently recruiting. Please visit www.phoenixguard.co.uk for more information.
Regular
  • < Vanguard of Valor >
  • Regular

Kaeldrin Perilion wrote:
Come to think of it, I’m probably not the best person to discuss this with. You could throw all the numbers at me, and I’d still tell you Arcane is the best spec, simply for the fact that out of all three I find Arcane *by far* the most enjoyable.

I tend to be the same, but localised by chars. I rolled a new mage cause I couldn't see my old one speccing Arcane. Same as leveling a new warrior to (at the moment) 82, just cause speccing fury with Yaku made me stop playing her.

Tbh, frost seems to do very low damage, till I check recount.

Regular
  • < Horde sanctuary >
  • Regular
The legion that is Yaku expands :P Need a little input from you guys, finally got to my mage in the leveling queue, he is arcane, and i leveled to 81 using arcane, quite explosive damage, but soft as hell, gotta be quite awake to use this, I wondered if you have any advice/experiences with this? And if I maybe should dual, and get frost for leveling? Heard somewhere that frost mages would be tougher.
Regular
  • < Vanguard of Valor >
  • Regular

Justy wrote:
The legion that is Yaku expands :P Need a little input from you guys, finally got to my mage in the leveling queue, he is arcane, and i leveled to 81 using arcane, quite explosive damage, but soft as hell, gotta be quite awake to use this, I wondered if you have any advice/experiences with this? And if I maybe should dual, and get frost for leveling? Heard somewhere that frost mages would be tougher.

Frost power lies in control. You still need to stand and cast to deal damage (to get FoF procs, but you can get 2 every 30 seconds with talents) but you can control a huge number of mobs almost indefinitely, and in case of trouble just pop invisibility. For example, I killed a 700k health elite dragon without taking a single damage point. No matter that frost seem low damage, it does have excellent burst (pet Freeze - Ice Lance - Deep Freeze - 3x Ice Lance = 64k damage and mob didn't move from it's place yet)

Arcane girl is 61, so can't really comment on that :).

Regular
  • < Horde sanctuary >
  • Regular
Thanks mate, I'll give frost a go, sounds promising :)
Avid adventurer
  • < Cult of the Unbound >
  • Avid adventurer
Mages at 85 feel so damb repetative.

Arcane Power>SP Trinket>Arcane Blast untill 20% mana (Things generally die before you get to 20% unless it's a boss.) Arcane Barrage>Arcane Missiles(when procced) untill you've regened mana> ABx3>Mana Gem (Talented)> More AB Spam to 20%. Rinse and Repeat. i've pulled off 64k DPS in HOT Epics.

Glyphing Mage Armor is a Must if your Arcane. mana regen is more important than a bump in armor or crit considering that Arcane Mastery increases Spell damage in perportion to how much mana you have, more mana = more damage.

Side Noat- if your PvPing as Frost at low levels, glyph Ice Barrier. it can effectively triple your health at low levels. in full Brutal S4 my mage had about 14k health with IB absorbing 15k damage and unless your fighting somone who actually realises that dispelling it's a good thing you'll generally survive anything. looses it's awesomeness when you get to 78-85 though. it pritty much stayed at 15k for me no matter how much INT i stacked.

The Pysker, The Witch and the Wardrobe.
Previous 1 . 2 . 3
Jump to :