•  Topic Adverts?
  •   |  Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:40 pm 
Previous 1 . 2 . 3 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1037&sid=c50277af4fb079654786aa444f44e2cd&start=20
Saranini
    Reply with quote Post a reply
I don't know about you, but when I get adblock for this site, I can't get access to the threads any more so that's not an option here. Unless well.. there's some sort of setting which could help me since I'm a bit of a nab.

Yes, I think we discussed the realm forum adverts back in the day, I remember hating them tremendously, other people saying 'chill out'. But I still hate them tremendously :D

I am a bit torn here. On the one hand, I hate adverts, and well... there are adverts here now. To me they are pretty harmless, no gold selling crap yet, they are quite the same as the ones I get on DMF realm forums actually, since it has been a looong time since the adverts I get there were WoW related.

BUT, and this is why I am careful, I do understand how expensive it is to keep this place running. My main beef with Blizz was that they do not need the revenues from the advert thing, that it was just yet another source of income for them while completely ignoring the community's needs. On this site, it might be that it is really needed to keep it running.

But I understand your point, that you want a debate beforehand, to be involved in the decision, as it has kind of always been like this, being a community.

Can I maybe make a suggestion? I don't see why it is needed to store images and such on the website. Would it kill us to work with links? Doesn't it use up a lot of space (I'm a nab, so I honestly don't know, just asking) to have all the images and vids and stuff, placed as attachment to a post?
WoW Addict
view posts by this user Offline
  • < Eburi Knights >
  • WoW Addict
Most of the images on this forum are hosted externally - meaning that when you access them, you're accessing the remote website. The site itself is fairly tech heavy, the PHP theme I imagine could be 'compressed' to further reduce on bandwidth issues, but we'd lose the pretty configuration we have at the moment. Depending on the actual cost of the bandwidth increase per annum (or whatever set up Jezzy has) it might be more rational to 'dumb down' the boards. Drastic, I know, but an avenue.

We could also reduce the amount of data people can upload to the system, avatars and the like.

Anedill wrote:
No. I like girls. But this time it's about justice.

Veltroi wrote:
If somebody asked me to describe you Dan, I'd send them this picture
http://i.imgur.com/ncRW1.jpg
Site Admin
Site Admin
Well advert update:

After some fighting I have managed to get rid of google's adverts as they just wern't what I was looking for.

Instead I have set up a top level advert rotation system and moved the regular banners here. So back to "normal".

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

- brackets (( )) make me want to beat people to death with their own life bar -
Site Admin
Site Admin
ya know in theory we could set up an "wowgamer-adsense" for guilds and such for inclusion on peoples websites...
Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

Forum Whore
  • Forum Whore
Not that I don't understand Jezzy's motivations, but the ad on the right says it all.
How ridiculous and unrealistic is the man who is astonished at anything that happens in nature.

- Marcus Aurelius
WoW Addict
  • < Eburi Knights >
  • WoW Addict
As I said Jez if you let us know what you're short by and set up some manner of fund raiser with "guild ads" being thrown on, I'm sure we'll gladly help out.

Only reason I haven't done so before is because I've no artwork ._.

Anedill wrote:

Veltroi wrote:
Site Admin
Site Admin
Right now its not much of a drain but as long as my server provider don't start changing their minds then all should be well.
Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

WoW Addict
  • < Eburi Knights >
  • WoW Addict
Just a note; I've seen "Flashing billionth visitor" ads, and a "shoot 5 iphones to win!" ads on the banner rotation. The scandily clad ladies I shall abide for Meph's sake.

Anedill wrote:

Veltroi wrote:
Site Admin
Site Admin
You know what? I have no idea where they come from! - I removed the google feed so they should not be there...
Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

Forum Junkie
  • < The Dark League >
  • Forum Junkie
All I see these days is the wowgamer one's and it's sponsor thingy.
Previous 1 . 2 . 3 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1037&sid=c50277af4fb079654786aa444f44e2cd&start=20
Jump to :