1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=114&sid=037efff3d6d588d66bf4eb4c85becc5c&start=10
Forum Whore
view posts by this user Offline
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Forum Whore
    Reply with quote Post a reply
So, I think we really do need to dicuss this fully because as far as I can see (and not just from Cog, because I've had the same opinion expressed to me from others as well), the fact that we're keeping certain areas closed off is giving a "clique" and "closed off" feel.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm not in agreement with a lot of the points raised that resulted in certain areas being restricted. However, this morning when I loaded up the forum, I was logged off and realised just how empty and barren the forum looks. Fair enough, there's lots of sections you can still see when you're not registered but comparatively speaking, they're all pretty damn empty.

To use an example that's been brought up today, lets look at the Argent Archives. They are amazing from my point of view. It was actually perusing them that led to me rolling characters over here. Now, I think wowgamer is pretty damn awesome too BUT if I was someone from another realm just having a gander? It looks pretty pants and inactive. Not because it is but because our two most posted in areas are closed off from the public. Now, a random passer by isn't likely to register in the hope that there's more to wowgamer than meets the eye and there's nothing here to tell people that there is actually more that they can't see!

I think you also have to bear in mind that despite the shiny new layout (*drools), this is not the realm forum. You don't have to rely on Blizzard noticing trolls and nasty posts, by which point, matters tend to have gone out of hand. Here we have people we all trust looking out for our best interests (A Jezzy, a Sara and a Miraene) who (I assume) will certainly not tolerate the bad behaviour that the realm forum seems to have become known for.

I just think that what should be used as a resource to boost and improve the roleplaying community of DMF is actually having the opposite effect in some cases and that in some ways we are arguably isolating and alienating ourselves.

Alquanis Firesong
http://www.phoenixguard.co.uk - Recruitment is Open!
Saranini
To be honest, I think we should have a poll. I can not create one, I asked Jezzy to create one, so we will see what happens when he gets on.

The reason I say 'poll' is because some people do not like to get involved in these discussions, and I do think that the PRIVATE people will fight harder for their private thing, and the open people might just shut up and leave it at that. BY creating an anonymous poll, we give everyone a say without fear of someone holding it against them.

OF COURSE! People can give their views here and such, but if the decision is only based on the opinion of the people who make the most noise... I am not saying this to get my own view to win, because obviously, I feel private would win if we go by the LOUDEST people, hence the poll. I want it to be fair, and a community decision.

And thank you Alquanis, for bringing this up HERE, where it belongs.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Poll Created :D
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=115

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

- brackets (( )) make me want to beat people to death with their own life bar -
WoW Addict
  • < Tusks and Horns >
  • WoW Addict
I have made my position very clear both here and on the realm forums. Of course if the poll chooses otherwise, That is the community's view, enough said.

I have a possible compromise offer.

A section. ONE section which is called "Registered members only". that way anyone who wishes to post something for the community only has some refuge.

I do not personaly post on wowgamer to promote the realm as an rp community. I post on it because I like it. It's fun. I know people and like them. I have no agenda to use my stories and comments to lure other rp-ers to our realm. If that is our purpose then I am sorry I am clearly mistaklen.

I just really don't think it's much to ask, one solitary private section?

A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
Avid adventurer
  • Avid adventurer
I'd like to know if my previous suggestion is possible. That is, allowing members to see that a forum exists, but not actually view the threads contained in it.

In other words, they will see the full list of threads on the home page - General, Trader's Corner, Roleplaying, all the rest of it. But when they click on a members-only forum, e.g. General, they will be prompted to log in or register.

I know it's an option on my guildomatic forum, so maybe it's possible here. I think it would both prove that the forum is bustling and active, without displaying all our threads for any casual visitor to peruse.

My personal feeling, if the above suggestion isn't possible, is that I like having a few threads where I can post amongst people I trust. I don't quite understand people's reluctance to register. You can keep yourself signed in all the time, and you can appear offline, so you may as well be unregistered. So what's the problem? Apart from it making the forum look inactive (which I think is a valid point), I don't really understand what the issue with registering is.
Site Admin
Site Admin
To the best of my knowlage um no it's not possible to do that. Seems they either see it or they don't.

But no one can interact with the forums unless they register and I fail to see how seeing or not seeing a forum is relevent to that fact. The sheer look of the site and the forums they CAN see should be enough IMHO.

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

WoW Addict
  • < Tusks and Horns >
  • WoW Addict
I see your point of view. I have simply offered my own feelings.

I think I have a right to feel that way, and people like Cog saying my feelings aren't valid does not make me more inclined to accept that his point of view is the right one.

I was and am grateful Jezz that you took my feelings seriously. If the community decides that that is not how we want this forum to run then that is fair and democratic. But I am not WRONG to feel this way. I have a right to my opinion. Whether or not it is the popular one does not take away my right to feel this way, nor does it take away my right to express it in this discussion.

I will now vote in the poll. I will add no more to the discussion, since I have likely bored you all quite enough. I have said everything that my feelings need me to say, and there an end.

A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
Avid adventurer
  • Avid adventurer
Well Zaredd, I agree with you on all counts personally.

Also, in my mind, the official forum should be the free-for-all. I think we are entitled to protect this one a wee bit, since the officlal one can get so unpleasant at times.

I honestly don't see a harm in requiring people to register for just a couple of boards. We can still make the official forum look lively and interesting, and at the same time promote wowgamer and mention that you need to register to see the fun stuff.
Master Poster
  • Master Poster
Is there a way that individual threads can be made "members only" so that those who want privacy can have it, and those that don't mind can be viewed by all ?
Site Admin
Site Admin
Sadly no :(

The entire forum requires permisions set not the individual postings

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

1 . 2 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=114&sid=037efff3d6d588d66bf4eb4c85becc5c&start=10
Jump to :