1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1185&sid=ad3fbe53940921c9409fd841078375d7&start=10
Master Poster
view posts by this user Offline
  • Master Poster
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Hmm, I can't help but notice that we seem to be getting more and more explicit content on this forum, particularly in the diary section. Not gonna go into whether it should be censored or not, that's a decision for the admin/mods. But if it's going to be here, would it be possible to have a separate section for this sort of material? I know there's already the [mature] flag, but it might be easier if it's all together in one place? That way those who want to read it can, and those who don't can easily avoid it.
Forum Whore
  • Forum Whore
OH NOES! ERP! RUUUUN!
How ridiculous and unrealistic is the man who is astonished at anything that happens in nature.

- Marcus Aurelius
Veteran Poster
  • Veteran Poster
RP'ers who post about how fantastic a cyber-session went in the diary forum are dickwaving on such a hideously humorous level, it makes me wonder if good-quality RP circles would ever take them seriously and the obvious answer is no. Anyone who literally writes about how they've peened around during the night is only making themselves look like a complete idiot and fool.

I comprehend how it would make everyone elses life easier if this was filtered into another sub-forum, but I am also fearful a sub-forum would encourage this sort of viewing.
Forum Whore
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Forum Whore
Have only seen one example of the above so seems a bit of an excessive measure in my eyes. Perhaps just some guidelines on what level of "mature" is acceptable on WoWgamer?

My idea of a [Mature] tag on WoWgamer is the probability of some swearing and potentially some implication of sexual encounters which I don't think anyone would take offence to anyway.

Alquanis Firesong
http://www.phoenixguard.co.uk - Recruitment is Open!
Master Poster
  • Master Poster
I'm all for this as long as it's optional, like you said a lot of the diaries are tagged as mature anyway I don't think it would do much harm to separate them from the rest. Though I would prefer to keep my own diaries where they are despite some of the stuff described in them.

There's just a limit to what people want to read on wowgamer, and I admit that when writing some of Thanso's diaries I often think that I crossed that limit, so I go back and adjust what I wrote before posting it. ( And sometimes regret what I posted thinking I've pushed it too far.) But I haven't received any complaints yet about any of them.

I don't read all of the other diaries so I've only noticed a recent one ( because it attracted a lot of comments) going overboard. And it's really apparent there, if this is part of a trend or something that's happening in several ones, a different section wouldn't be a bad thing.
Regular
  • < Horde sanctuary >
  • Regular
Being an rational thinking adult I don't work myself into a state of hysteria when people write something erotic into their stories, however, if its just explicit shagging from beginning to end its something else entirely, also taking into consideration that minors read these stories I think that the [mature] tag on the story is a good warning, and as for the rest? trust in our admins.
Grand Master
  • Grand Master
  • Website

Justy wrote:
Being an rational thinking adult I don't work myself into a state of hysteria when people write something erotic into their stories, however, if its just explicit shagging from beginning to end its something else entirely, also taking into consideration that minors read these stories I think that the [mature] tag on the story is a good warning, and as for the rest? trust in our admins.

Pretty much this, to be honest. Sorry to just quote you verbatum but that's pretty much what I wanted to say :p

"Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self." ~ Writer Cyril Connolly
Master Poster
  • Master Poster
Hmm, I don't think anyone was in a state of hysteria here.

Personally I don't have a problem if people want to do ERP. It's none of my business what goes on in /w, or /p or even on mass in private channels for all I know. That's down to the individuals involved. It's not what I play this game for, but there's lots of reasons to play this game and different people get different things out of it. It seems that plenty of people *do* want EPR and, judging from the diaries section at the moment, want to write about it. Fine, fair enough, personally I'm more interested in character development, their psychology and creating a story, but it takes all sorts.

I just feel, and I know I'm not alone here, that we are being gradually swamped by diaries that *are* increasingly about nothing more than the character's sexual encounters. And I'm sorry, but it is more than just one or two. Again, fine, fair enough, this seems to be what people want, given that nobody has said a word about it until now and the moderators seem perfectly happy with it. And I respect that this is what plenty of people do want from the site. But as this becomes more and more all pervasive it feels like it's drowning out anything that isn't all about sex. I already know of people who won't post on this site any more (or at least in the diary section) because of this. I'm just worried that we will drive more people away, and may even put people off from posting here in the first place, which would be sad.

I'm not saying "get rid of all ERP", or "delete any diary that I think lacks any kind of artistic merit", I know that would be unfair, unpleasant, unnecessary and frankly wrong. I respect people's right to write whatever they like, even I (and others) would view it as trash. I'm sure plenty of people would be more than critical of what I choose to write. Anyway this site isn't about throwing stones or ripping apart what other people have created.

Initially I thought that this site was meant to have only PG content, I'm sure I read something like that at some point, though obviously this isn't the case any more. I just thought that, to keep everyone happy, it might be a good idea to have separate areas for the different types of writing. Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps it's just easier for people to only bother to read diaries that they already know that they like. Perhaps having different areas would make the site too segregated, I don't know. Either way I thought it would at least be useful to have a conversation about it.
Regular
  • < Horde sanctuary >
  • Regular

Rhea wrote:
Hmm, I don't think anyone was in a state of hysteria here.

I was not making any sort of attack here, just making my standpoint clear, no relation to other posters at all :D

Basicly i do see where you are coming from here, but its like it is in other stories, be it on film or litterature, sex sells(if written with taste of course), and since we are trying to emulate a 'working' fantasy world here, it too belongs, in its own way, there is still the younger players to consider, but I have to say that I have not seen anything here so depraved that it did not hold up to inspection....yet, I admit I have not read every story here.

As for erp, have not encountered it, heard of it, all the horror stories, Can't say I see the attraction, but this comes when you throw alot of people and personalities together I guess. Mostly considered the "action" here to be fiction, artistic freedom, its a fantasy world afterall :)
ACE
  • < Bloodmyst Buccaneers >
  • ACE
  • Website
I don't see how it could hurt to separate the diary section into two parts, and let those that want to write mature content go into one section and those that don't write in the other.
There are so many diaries being written that it'd help for the readers too I think

Rum by the kettledrum
Whiskey by the jar
1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1185&sid=ad3fbe53940921c9409fd841078375d7&start=10
Jump to :