Previous 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6
Site Admin
view posts by this user Offline
Site Admin
    Reply with quote Post a reply
you know one thing strikes me is the level of decency and control people have here. Can you imagine what this would be like on the Blizz forums ?
Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

- brackets (( )) make me want to beat people to death with their own life bar -
Forum Whore
  • < Wanderlust >
  • Forum Whore

jezzybell wrote:
you know one thing strikes me is the level of decency and control people have here. Can you imagine what this would be like on the Blizz forums ?

OMG NUB NUB UR GHEY FECK OFF NUB D:<

~Spread love and knowledge
You can now find me on Steam or OpenCommunity as Lelling, or in Guild Wars 2 as Lelling/Cyan Vei ^^
Grand Master

jezzybell wrote:

"lol ur gs too low"

Odin promised the end of all giants, and I see no giants.

-Garrawick
-Leyaween
-Malonnie
-Kraelyn
ACE
  • ACE

jezzybell wrote:

If I didn't know you guys I would be trolling your asses.

No anonymity on these forums because we all know each other, or know people who know each other... like the 'six degrees of kevin bacon' only wow based.

...omg we shud so totally play that!

The topic of a Mature Forum

As for the topic I would be against the idea of a separate mature section. I would be forced to move all my diary entries there.

Sorscha's diary is labelled such because she is a complete potty-mouth and a hot(allbeit undead)blooded teen with commitment issues. What 17yr old doesn't think about sex on a regular basis?

Xelcius' diary may be tame at present but who is to say I might write down some of his deeply personal and emotional parts about his past or current relationships with certain characters, or start cussing like a trooper when he gets mad. I can't promise it won't stay PG-13, so I would move it on that principle.

...and then there's my artwork, which although censored with black bikini's of death or with fuzzy pixelblurs. Again I cannot promise risque picture's won't pop up in future. Would I have to move my entire thread? Would I have to create a separate one for mature pics when I would much rather keep them all together and not have to manage two threads?

We cannot stop underage people from reading/viewing our threads, not without extreme measures such as those 'I agree I am over 18yrs old' button things which they would only lie about and click anyway.

I agree, however, with the idea that first posts come with a forewarning and describes what we may expect from future entries in regards to language/swearing, sex and violence.

Caution this diary may contain:
Mild/strong/extreme swearing
Mildl/strong/explicit sexual themes
Mild/ strong/extreme Gore and Violence

It would be a decent warning for those people who might feel uncomfortable reading about it.

On the subject of Mature RP- which often ends up as diary entries...

and I know for some if not all people the topics of divorce, miscarriage, abortions, rape, kidnap, murder, death of loved ones, mental illness and cancers (Xelcius practically has in incurable disease) etc etc would have some emotional affect on readers particularly if they or someone close to them have endured any of the above in the past (or recently). I know complaints and mutterings sometimes occur when these themes rear their ugly heads in game and in diaries.

Even so far as to judge those who have allowed these themes to enter rp, as bad rpers, sadistic, drama whores, emo's, and generally calling us nasty nasty names for corrupting innocent players with such dark rp. It is not the case. These can be rp'd maturely with the consent of every player involved, omitting the details of the acts themselves and rping the before and aftermath.

They must be planned, well thought out and take other people's (and their chars) feelings into consideration. I will admit I have rp'd every theme above except one... and I was lucky to have escaped persecution. Others I know, were not so lucky. Suffering silently as they were badmouthed, ridiculed, ganged up on and almost driven off realm for daring to pollute their happy drama free rp existences (*note sarcasm* I have yet to meet such a char unless she is called Mary Sue.)

RP is a storytelling as if these characters are real, these things 'will' occur in stories as often as they occur in real life. We cannot deliberately steer our characters into a future where nothing remotely emotionally devastating ever happens and they live happily ever after, because realistically... that wouldn't happen. I may joke and say I am a drama whore. Thats probably because irl I am one of the lucky ones who has not personally suffered as a consequence of many of the above (exceptions being death of loved ones, which nobody can escape in their lifetime...ever.) and I can deal with this fictional drama as one would deal with it in a movie or a book. Some rp makes me sad, cry even in the same way some scenes makes me laugh, or makes me smile.

You might not like it when bad things happen to characters you like in stories, but you accept that what you are reading/watching, is not real.

Writers might want to put a disclaimer about any of these themes that pop up lest it cause some readers emotional distress.

I, as an artist and a writer of diaries and primarily - a reader - would not.

... I think that would be a step too far. Making things too PC to the point where we have to warn each other that our characters are about to sneeze... lest it offends someone with no nasal hair.

DVD's and books don't tell you what to expect. They don't tell you that the villians will wipe out all your favorite characters in cruel, thoughtless, degrading ways (*cough* Deathly Hallows *cough*)

... and they don't tell you on the cover, that the first page in the book will be violent murder or a sex scene or any other sensitive topic... you deal with it, trust the writer knows what he is doing, and if you don't like where the story is going, you put the book down and read something else.

TL:DR - I want to play the six degrees of kevin bacon... link your char to mine in six steps or less ...go.

...and I have no Nasal hair. I sniffed a match once and burnt it off. Sneezing offends me. :P

cryptfever.deviantart.com
There are some guidelines coming to end any confusion over what we mean when we tag our fiction as “Mature”. Shiryou is doing a great job of putting them together and I’m sure they will be up soon.
As for a separate sub-forum for “Mature” work, it’s not going to happen – for reasons that are more or less in accord with the objections raised in this thread.

Thanks to all of you for your patience while we develop an official response to the issues that have been raised here (remember site-admin is not a full-time job for any of us, so sometimes these things take a little while!).
Master Poster
  • Master Poster
Sor, I agree that the mature themes that you're talking about have a place in RP, art, literature and all the rest. Most of the best examples of all include these themes. However, including these themes doesn't automatically make said RP, art or literature good. Sometimes labelling something as mature, dark or 18+ is just a mask for how badly done it actually is. I'm sure we've all had the experience of watching an 18+ film that has been so sadly sadly disappointing. By the same token, I imagine we can all think of films that actually have very low ratings that are very more disturbing or creepy, or which contain much more adult themes and ideas, however it's all done with suggestion and implication, and is often far more effective for it.

I have never wanted mature/dark/etc themes to be stripped off this site. I'd have to delete most of my stuff for a start, and I don't think it's necessary at all. I guess it's about the way it's approached: it's not so much the content as the way that it is delivered. Anyone can write about sex or gore or bad things happening, it's not hard. As the Bad Sex Awards demonstrate it's very easy to do (at least some of) it badly. Writing about these themes in an creative, challenging, artistic way is not easy. Whether there is a "right" or "best" way to go about it is something that there is a lot of debate about. It is okay if Kill Bill is just a bloodbath, albeit an arguably artistic one? Does there have to be some higher meaning to it?

Anyway, all I was getting to was that I don't think we don't need grim details on this site, if nothing else most of the time I don't think they need to be said. If we're going to have mature themes, then let's tackle them, well, maturely. I know plenty of people already do, but I guess what I've been trying to say from the beginning (before I sidetracked myself by bringing up ERP) is that I feel some people don't, or are at least drifting in the direction of the 18 cert film that's got all the grim and gritty stuff, but is still rubbish. It's *this* that I don't like. If nothing else, it gives the actually mature [mature] writers a bad name.
Veteran Poster
  • Veteran Poster
One of the many reasons that I asked for my thread on the notice board to be locked is this. You see, I like to say things the way I feel like it, for any kind of issue or topic, without being told not to or being forced not to. This doesn't go just for wowgamer, but the realm forum as well, (Plus there are more reasons for me to keep quiet there.). For example, I felt like posting something about Prophecy's event tonight, not happening. This whole PG era doesn't fit for me. I don't like to change my words just because my writing can be...

There are some people out there who are very good with words, wether it's for a story or whatever, and should they be good at it, should people like and enjoy the way they write. Then in my opinion, they should continue to do so.

As for myself, I prefer to keep quiet (as I did so far) instead of posting/saying something that doesn't suit me.

Okay guys, the posts are up :) Please read through and feel free to comment, either publically or to me privately :)
http://reformedmarysue.wordpress.com/
Previous 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6
Jump to :