1 . 2 . 3 . 4 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=482&sid=edac5b0dd77967eb680884f654af8d2d&start=10
Forum Whore
view posts by this user Offline
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Forum Whore
    Reply with quote Post a reply
Well, this is an issue I and several other people have raised before. Now, don't get me wrong, I love WoWgamer and all the folks that post here, it's an awesome resource and I have a lot of fun posting here and reading posts from everyone else. However, having started checking out the realm forum more often recently, it's come to my attention just how dead it's become. Now, this may have very little to do with WoWgamer and it could be far more to do with the trolls that tend to frequent this place but, in comparion to the majority of other RP realm forums, ours looks absolutely pants.

Now, I can understand why people don't necessarily like posting stories and the like there; it takes a rather brave person to expose their work to a huge number of people. However, what I have noticed recently is that people have started posting about and advertising events on WoWgamer and not on the realm forum as well. Now, while I understand that WoWgamer has rather become the home for the DMF RP community, I would like to stress the importance of not alienating those that don't necessarily have an account there as well as showing off Darkmoon Faire and our events to the greater Roleplaying Community.

I will personally be trying to post realm forum more myself as well as encouraging guild members and friends to likewise and would really like to see others trying to kickstart it back to life as well!

Alquanis Firesong
http://www.phoenixguard.co.uk - Recruitment is Open!
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do as you like.

I am not going to be dropping or stopping people comming here. Nor will I stop asking people to come here.

My main reason (and im not starting all this crap again) is that when ever some one posts a simple question or such on the DMF forums its jumped all over. That was one of the major factors to my starting this site up.

And IMHO I could not care less about the DMF forums as I almost never post there. (wel...) Too many negative experiences there have put myself off and I know the same goes to other people.

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

- brackets (( )) make me want to beat people to death with their own life bar -
Forum Whore
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Forum Whore
...No one suggested dropping or stopping people coming here. Infact, I did compliment WoWgamer over and over in the OP. What I'm suggesting is that we make more of an effort to post on the realm forum as well. That isn't an insult to WoWgamer - despite the forum skin, they're actually different places. The realm forum is our opportunity to show off our realm to outsiders and to include people that aren't necessarily signed up here.
Alquanis Firesong
Donor
  • Donor

Alquanis wrote:
Now, I can understand why people don't necessarily like posting stories and the like there; it takes a rather brave person to expose their work to a huge number of people.

This is the part i disagree. The reason is, that i do not believe that some person who does not know me will read the story, diary of whatever rp related project it is. 99% the rp posts will be buried under threads like who the best bla bla is or what the x guild did in the z instance. I can't find any reason why i should post anything if noone's going to read it.

Also history proved that the same roleplayers are those who allow the rp posts to be lost in the latter pages. Even because we don't care and don't read or we don't support it as we should. How i mean support? Bumping rp posts is the least effort someone can put in. If, as Alquanis suggested, we want to show that our realm is a nice place for a new roleplayer to join then there should be some effort.

Even the same roleplayers, unwillingly though, contribute in a negative way. Making groups of roleplayers that you like to rp with is of course something natural, but when these groups become so tight and close, in the end excluding other roleplayers in a way that can be described at least rude, well, in that case its a complete different matter.

I have witnessed the above with my character when i faction changed and i was lucky, since i already knew people in horde (thanks all) otherwise i would have probably returned. Or a few days ago reading a conversation between people in "wewantrp" channel and making nasty comments about someone who had faction changed recently and was "judged" as a hopeless roleplayer. I read a few more to see if there was any proof of that negativity but no. I guess that when someone is a belf and walks in SMC is much better roleplayer than someone of another race who does exactly the same in that town.

Guess i sounded bitter enough, but these are my thoughts. DMF has some wonderful people, but also has some who should really stop looking at the tree and see the forest. Some might thing that i have not stayed in subject at the last part, but if the reason of Alquanis post is to improve the flow of new roleplayers in this realm then we dont have to improve only the window dressing but how we treat newcomers too.

Rydae Mournsky Crusader and elfsiemon of Tusks and Horns
Xalan Eidralen currently in allegiance with The Dark League
Vipus the Forkedtongue Deny, defy and spread a little hate worldwide
Saranini
I think Jezzy is getting a bit defensive because it sounds as if wowgamer is responsible for the demise of the forums, and this has been implied, or downright said, many times. So as the creator of a site, hearing such a thing over and over again, can't be pleasant.

I do have an opinion about your idea, but I am a bit tired right now, I'll get to it tomorrow :D
Forum Whore
  • Forum Whore
Bah! The greater community can feck off for all I care.
How ridiculous and unrealistic is the man who is astonished at anything that happens in nature.

- Marcus Aurelius
Forum Whore
  • < The Phoenix Guard >
  • Forum Whore
Well, getting defensive is a tad silly when I intentionally made it very clear how much I enjoy WoWgamer in the post so as not to cause any offence. Hell, I probably spend longer molesting the forums than most! :D
Alquanis Firesong
Saranini

Alquanis wrote:
Well, getting defensive is a tad silly when I intentionally made it very clear how much I enjoy WoWgamer in the post so as not to cause any offence. Hell, I probably spend longer molesting the forums than most! :D

Well yes, but the point is that it's not fair on Jezzy that this wonderful forum gets pointed out as the bad guy, the cause for the realm forum's demise, etc.

I know you don't mean to Alquanis, I really do, I am just saying how it comes across. Because in your post it does sound like you are pointing towards wowgamer and its members to move their posting to the other forum. If I created a forum, to me, because I would take pride in the effort, it would feel like you were undermining it, cause it would be my baby you know? I am not trying to start an argument at all, let that be clear, because again, I know you have proper motives and all, and that you didn't mean to. But when I first read it, it did feel like an accusation to me as well, but I know you better than that! So I knew it was unjust of me to think that. I just want you to very much understand why maybe trying to help the realm forums, it is not really necessary to point to wowgamer, since it might rub people the wrong way, ONLY because it has been done before, the pointing to wowgamer that is.
Saranini
Any way! Now my opinion on the thing. Sure, I will bump RP posts and such and try to help. There is a but of course. This has been done before. When we bump RP posts, we feel that we must do it properly, namely with an IC post, not just an inane bump. Roleplayers typing IC posts, will always take longer than PvE guilds bumping their threads with... bump. I see a recruitment thread dropping two places! And then they are there with their bump. We are outnumbered AND we have to write bigger posts. Just like on the actual realm, we are outnumbered by lolboys and they will always be the loudest, it is the same on the realm forums. Does this mean we can not try? No of course I will try. But again, it's been done before, there is a very very very good reason why we are here and not there. And not to mention, just like Dunegar already stated, an even better reason why people do not want to post their stories there.

I also do not want people to feel forced to, again, defend why they do not post on the forums, again, explain why they feel crap when posting stories there, etc. People willingly make a choice to post or not post, it has nothing to do with wowgamer, the forums have always been like that, outside of maybe in the very beginning when I arrived on DMF. The people that post events on realm forums, are the same people that have always done it, the people that post events here are the people that have never been super public with their events out of fear of lolboys.

Our Winter Veil party was trolled by a horde who felt a need to sap people and stuff. Why? Because it was on the realm forums. Will that make me stop posting events there? No, but it does make me understand extremely well why others don't.
Grand Master
  • Grand Master
I think this problem goes deeper than the realm forum. Dunegar is definitly onto something. As I said on the old forum (with very unfortunate wording), I don't think bumping rp posts alone is going to help. However, I don't hang out a lot on the realm forum (even though I know I should), so I can't really say anything.

I also think that if this forum has something with the problem to do, then it would probably be as an effect of the problem, and not as a cause.
1 . 2 . 3 . 4 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=482&sid=edac5b0dd77967eb680884f654af8d2d&start=10
Jump to :