Previous 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=482&sid=49caa4b4ceb3fde5843d22468254866a&start=20
Donor
view posts by this user Offline
  • Donor
    Reply with quote Post a reply

Saranini wrote:
When we bump RP posts, we feel that we must do it properly, namely with an IC post, not just an inane bump. Roleplayers typing IC posts, will always take longer than PvE guilds bumping their threads with... bump. I see a recruitment thread dropping two places! And then they are there with their bump. We are outnumbered AND we have to write bigger posts.

I would have agreed with this if i had not witnessed flame threads made by roleplayers for roleplayers that went on for weeks and would go for more if a moderator would not lock them. Bumping an IC post is hard but writing whole essays about flaming is easy?

I understand how you mean it Sara, you want to put some effort in what you write and this requires time. But on the other hand i find it kinda double faced that almost the whole rp community raises its voice when it comes to flame thread issues.

Rydae Mournsky Crusader and elfsiemon of Tusks and Horns
Xalan Eidralen currently in allegiance with The Dark League
Vipus the Forkedtongue Deny, defy and spread a little hate worldwide
Saranini
Well I can't speak for the whole community of course, and to be honest, I don't really think this deeply about the whole realm forum, that's why I don't give a ... thingie :D

I write on there when I want to write, wowgamer came into existence, sometimes I'll write mucho here, otherwise nada, it is completely dependent on my mood. I have bumped a lot of RP posts, I have been in many loooooooooooong discussions, I have actively sought out RP posts to bump, and then I'll post very little. You can argue I don't post much on the realm forum now, but well, if people pay attention then they will know that has happened before. Many roleplayers have turned away from the forums jaded and bitter, because of flamewars and other crap. I just don't believe you can make people do something and make it last. I post when I WANT to post, not because I have some greater goal in mind. A goal will keep you posting for a bit, but you won't keep it up.

It's the same thing when it comes to RP posts. When I read stories, I do it because I WANT to, not because it is noble. Do I feel like reading a wall of text during the day? Mostly I do not. Do I feel like reading one in the evening? mostly not cause I'm playing WoW :D So when I do read them, then I will comment, or I will not comment because I have nothing new to say and I don't want to seem like merely a suckup. So will I read more stories in the beginning of this initiative? Probably, but it will not last because it doesn't come natural.

When you say people participate in flamewars, the reason is very easy, discussions are fun (at least to me), it's interesting, it can get feisty, you can maybe even understand someone else's view at the end of it, and you want to defend yours. It's easy to write something like that and make it looooooooong, because it comes from the gut, you write it without thinking, it comes naturally. Reading something because you feel you have to, bumping something because you feel you have to, does not.

So if there is a discussion on the forum about 'is this crap RP or not', basically the chance is higher that more people will feel compelled to write, because you feel a need to defend your views, because you have a vested interest in the discussion. While a story about belves might not appeal to any alliance people. Now we are asking these people to read it just to support, and again, they will for a while, but they won't stick around. And I am pretty sure, because I have stuck around pretty consistently since lvl60ish, the forum has always had its ups and downs, it will go up now again, then it will go down again, people will point to a million of factors to lie blame there, and we will try again.

Everything fluctuates, it's normal. That's why I don't see an issue. I believe a crusade for ingame RP to be far more appealing than one for forum stuff. If I was an RPer, who actively visited forums to check which realms were the busiest, I would look for communities like this one, not for who can spam the most. Spam relating to 'fun' posts, not story posts obviously.

But to clarify once again, I will do my best, as I feel I always do pretty much, but I see no big revolution or major change under-way, nothing lasting.
Donor
  • Donor
I understand your opinion Sara, though i do not totally agree. And as a note, i consider a discussion something completely different from a flame war. A discussion can end in a flamewar in a sec. A flame war in a discussion hardly. I could even mumble about it more, but i think the current "discussion" in both forums (wowgamer/realm forums) is proving my point in my previous posts.
Saranini

Dunegar wrote:
I understand your opinion Sara, though i do not totally agree. And as a note, i consider a discussion something completely different from a flame war. A discussion can end in a flamewar in a sec. A flame war in a discussion hardly. I could even mumble about it more, but i think the current "discussion" in both forums (wowgamer/realm forums) is proving my point in my previous posts.

I don't agree. The people that participate most in the discussion on the realm forum (I think mainly Zhinsa, myself, and Alquanis) are also the people that have been actively bumping RP posts the past days since this initiative was started.

So I dont understand what you are saying, but I think what you are saying is that if we want this initiative to work, we should focus on the RP posts, while most of us are immersed in flame wars? That we find that more interesting? If you are saying that the state of the forum now, proves your point, then I completely disagree, as that is but one thread where things are being discussed, and we have been bumping a dozen RP related threads in turn.
Donor
  • Donor
Nope, i am not pointing fingers at you. I think that the three of you have sensible views, even if i dont agree with them.

But that witch hunting on wowgamer just reinforces my view that people just see the tree and not the forest. No matter what you say Sara and how well you explain it :) i believe that people are prone to "discussions" and even if we manage to agree to revive the realm forums, i bet the majority of those who are backing up this revival will miracusly dissapear.

Saranini

Dunegar wrote:
Nope, i am not pointing fingers at you. I think that the three of you have sensible views, even if i dont agree with them.

But that witch hunting on wowgamer just reinforces my view that people just see the tree and not the forest. No matter what you say Sara and how well you explain it :) i believe that people are prone to "discussions" and even if we manage to agree to revive the realm forums, i bet the majority of those who are backing up this revival will miracusly dissapear.

Ow ow! I completely agree with that Dune! Completely. I am just basically.... well, I'll be honest, I'm covering my own ass here. When people in two weeks say that this revival did not work, and OMG YOU GUYS WERE AGAINST IT FROM THE START! I can say; hell, I shouted the loudest, but I did try.

And yes, I will be the first to admit I am prone to discussion, mea culpa in a big way. I am very passionate, in everything I do, and when I feel strongly about something, I can not shut up. I have tried many times, I do try even though it doesn't show, but I find it impossible. I think I completely agree with you Dune, on all your counts, even the ones that I might not compliment myself with by agreeing, and all those flaws, in me and others, will make this not work.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Oks, I have kept out of this as best i can. Mainly I didnt want to be seen as "I love wowgamer coz I made it" kind a thing.

I shall only say how I see things.

1) The DMF forums (like many others) are filled with lolboys and assholes who have little else to do with their time than pick out people and ridicule them. People in general shun away from this and refuse to be drawn into it. (and no I know not ALL people on the forums are like that)

The forums were for the most part filled with ignored RP stories and silly "Im bored topics" with speradic "OMG I HATEZ U" postings from teenagers. There was no substance to the postings like we enjoy here.

...and THAT IS WHY I MADE WOWGAMER

2) People post here because I ban the idiots and when people see like minded level headed posts with obvious thought and feelings put into postings they generally return in kind.

3) I have never attempted to make this the home of DMF - I love RP - I love interacing with other who feel the same way. And since the DMF forums are run my people that don't care about RP'ers (yes i mean Blizzard) it made sence to start my own haven from it all.

4) I won't stop running this even IF i decided to leave wow.

5) this has dragged on long enough. Lets get back to our regular RP and chat :)

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

- brackets (( )) make me want to beat people to death with their own life bar -
I think Alquanis' intention is a good one.

I think it is fair to say that although everyone here DOES love WoWgamer, some of us do feel guilt that we are isolated from others who may well want to be in a community like this but either don't want another forum on their tabs or don't know how to get here. That doesn't make Wowgamer a bad thing at all, and there's a lot of overreaction here...

http://reformedmarysue.wordpress.com/
Site Admin
Site Admin
Yes I agree with that!

In all honesty wow gamer was not ment to be as big as it is. this is kind of snowballed to this but I'm greatful for it because it has let me meet some interesting and rather entertaining characters.

Regards,

Jezzybell Lightsprocket

- brackets (( )) make me want to beat people to death with their own life bar -
Grand Master
The realm forums always were crap.
Odin promised the end of all giants, and I see no giants.

-Garrawick
-Leyaween
-Malonnie
-Kraelyn
Previous 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 ./viewtopic.php?f=39&t=482&sid=49caa4b4ceb3fde5843d22468254866a&start=20
Jump to :